Tuesday, February 7, 2012

In Loving Memory of Helen "Pixie" Henry (Aunt Pixie)


I just wanted to check in and say I am sorry for the lack of posting this week. My dear aunt who I posted about a while back passed away on Sunday evening so things are a little sad around here.  I wanted to check in and let you all know since I posted about her last week and I am sure some of you are wondering how things went.  Even though we knew this was coming it's still so sad. Cancer is just awful and no one should have to deal with the pain and suffering that it causes. I know my aunt is no longer suffering so that helps.  

In her memory I purchased a Tinkerbell charm for my Chamilla bracelet. My aunt was a huge Tink fan and could often be seen sporting a Tinkerbell shirt.  As most of you know, I was married in Disney World. My Aunt was in attendance and while we were all watching the Wishes fireworks that night my aunt can be heard on my wedding video, with all the excitement of a child, shouting  "THERE'S TINKERBELL!" when Tink flew from her post atop the castle. I am so happy that I will always get to hear that in my video! That's Aunt Pixie for you, candid, fun and  the life of the party.  I am so happy she was able to come to my wedding so far away.  That's who she was though, she'd do anything for someone she loved. 

For those interested in learning about her this is a copy of her obituary, the family selected a stunning photo of her: 

Helen A. (Pixie) Whalen Henry, age 51 of Hamden formerly of Bridgeport, the beloved wife of Richard Jeff Henry, entered into eternal rest on Sunday, February 5, 2012 at St. Vincent Medical Center, after a long courageous battle with cancer, with her loving family by her side. Born in Bridgeport on February 25, 1960 she was the daughter of the late Amelia Mae Tilson, Betty and Edward Whalen. She was a life long Bridgeport resident before settling in Hamden a few years ago, a graduate of Central High School, class of 1977, where she met most of her lifelong friends. She began her waitressing career at Frankie’s Diner in Bridgeport, melting the hearts of even the most difficult customers, and taking special care of the loneliest ones, she loved it. Her kindness continued to touch the hearts of all until her retirement from Sherwood Diner in Westport. She was famous for her yearly, handwritten Christmas cards that will be sadly missed by all. What Pixie loved the most in life was spending time with family and friends. She loved to plan the party that would get them all together. In addition to her loving husband, she is survived by her daughter, Theresa Amelia Sanches and her partner, Brian DiMoura of Hamden, her grandsons, Daniel and Jake Allen of Hamden, her granddaughter, Anastasia Koutrakos of Stratford, her brothers, Ronny Tilson and wife Joyce of Margate, FL., Jeffrey Lesniak and wife Lyn of Georgetown, CT., Edward Whalen and wife Launa of Trumbull, her sisters, Jacqueliene Weiner and husband Martin of Shelton, Trina Nicolett and husband Louis of Beacon Falls, Charon Benson and her husband the late Raymond Sr. of Bridgeport, Georgejinna Chevrette and partner Art Minto of Ansonia, Bette-Jo and partner Robert of Bridgeport, and a very special Goddaughter, Launa Whalen, and many nieces and nephews. 

__________________________

My aunt will be missed by so many, friends and family alike but we have a million and one fond memories to cherish.  It seems when we lose someone we say thousands of great things about them just because they are gone, but honestly my aunt was the most loved person I know.  Every single family member was close with Pixie, even the ones who lost touch with everyone else.  Pixie had so many close friends I cannot even name 1/3 of them.  There is no one who could have met her and disliked her. Of all the people I have ever known she was the most genuinely caring individual. A lot of people relied on and needed her love and I am scared some may be lost without it. 

My Aunt Pixie was taken too soon. Besides her countless friends and extended family she leaves her husband, daughter and two grandsons. Please keep them in your thoughts. 

__________________________

To my Dear Aunt Helen Pixie Henry: 

Rest in peace. We will all miss you! Thank you for being at all my life milestones, from my birthday parties, to my communion, to my confirmation (thanks for sponsoring, it is an honor to have Helen in my name now) to my graduations to my wedding. Every birthday I knew I'd have a card in my mail box from you, you never forgot! 

I don't know many people as loved as you. Know that you touched so many hearts and that your spirit will live on through so many of us. You were taken way too soon but we know you're no longer in pain. You had a rough few years but always managed to keep it positive.


Thanks for everything Aunt Pixie....



"Up you go with a heigh and ho
To the stars beyond the blue
There's a Never Land waiting for you
Where all your happy dreams come true
Every dream that you dream will come true


When there's a smile in your heart
There's no better time to start
Think of all the joy you'll find
When you leave the world behind
And bid your cares good-bye
You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!"


Prim and Polished