Monday, February 1, 2010

Pastel Yellow Comparison Featuring "Lemonade" & "Lemon Fizz"



Today's post is a comparison of two pastel yellow colors from two companies' spring collections. We have China Glaze's "Lemon Fizz" from the Up & Away Collection and Orly's "Lemonade" from the Spring II Sweets Collection coming in April. As you can see from the photos below the two colors are quite similar. China Glaze's "Lemon Fizz" is a teeny tiny bit warmer but I feel like you can really only see that warmth in the photo comparing the bottles:



On the nails I feel like the colors are almost identical. If you look closely enough you can see the slightly warmer tone on the China Glaze but honestly these are essentially dead on dupes. I actually enjoy this color, I was not sure how I'd feel about yellow nails but this color yellow is actually quite pretty!



As far as the formulas go they are quite different. I feel like the Orly is thick and the China Glaze was thin. Pastels and yellows are both known for their finicky application as they often are streaky. I feel like these two were actually both pretty nice applications though I think the Orly has a very slight edge in application. The Orly was thick and applied pretty smoothly, almost no streaking. The China Glaze was much thinner and on the first coat was quite streaky but that completely evened out upon second coat. Overall both polishes performed well for pastel yellows. The difference was not enough for me to say I prefer one over the other. The final look of both polishes was smooth and streak free.

If you're looking for a nice pastel yellow either of these two will satisfy your craving. I feel like you cannot go wrong with either one as the differences are negligible. Besides the tiny difference in application and slightly warmer hue of the China Glaze they're great dupes. So if you can get one but not the other don't fret.





China Glaze's "Lemon Fizz" is available now from places like Sally Beauty Supply and Trans Design. Orly's "Lemonade" will be available in April 2010 and comes with the matching lip gloss seen in the photo (smells like lemons).


Disclosure: "Lemonade" was furnished to me by Orly for consideration. All reviews published on this blog are at my own discretion. Please refer to my Disclosure Policy.


Prim and Polished

21 comments:

Congrats Gina! You've won the Sampler Village Giveaway on my blog :)

http://designsbyvanessa.blogspot.com/2010/02/sampler-village-giveaway-winner.html

Hmmm, dupes. I would pick the Orly because I dont like that the CG is warmer and I have yet to find a pastel yellow that suits me.

I was really shocked this color worked for me. I didn't think it would. I am glad you can see the teeny difference in color temp.

Great post and love the comparisons, think I dont need the lemon fizz now that's for sure :P

I gave you a blog award that I hope you will accept :D

Glad you found it helpful!!! I love when I find a good dupe!!! :-) Saves money for sure!

This is a great post. I need a pastel yellow in my collection! Getting one from Models Own!

Lemon Fizz <3 <3 <3

Thank you for the comparison!

I finally got back to my awaiting and delayed swatch, and started with the brights from U&A. I'm really impressed about the formula on these, tomorrow I'll be dong the pastels and I so curious about the consistency of the formula when I move on to them.

I would say CG and Orly are dupes. Interesting to see the Illamasqua pastels in comparison. :)

I agree, I'd love to see the Illamasqua as well! I love the U&A collection. I think the brights have amazing formulas. I find the pastels a little harder to work with but as pastels go they are A+ for sure! I love China Glaze so so much!

I like the CG a tad bit better, but I'm not sure how much of it is how the colors compare (the warmth of the two), or how the bottles look. :/ Yellow is a really pretty color on the nails though, I would never had considered it before.

Thanks for reading!!!

I think the difference in color is absolutely most noticeable in the bottle. Isn't in crazy how something as odd as yellow can actually work. I didn't think I'd like it either now I am wondering what took me so long to try it!!!

Both are very pretty and soft for spring. Thanks for the comparisons. Are they close to OPI's "Banana Bandana"?

I just found your blog and I"m enjoying it!

Visit mine if you have a chance:
http://www.glitterm-younailedit.blogspot.com/

hi, this is an awesome post! I noticed Orly had a pastel yellow coming up and I couldn't help but wonder! I'll probably get both, though, lol!! This is totally useful, thanks for the research.

Welcome GlitterM! I just subbed to your blog, thanks for sharing. Not sure how these compare to the OPI version! Anyone else know?

Euridice - spoken like a true polish addict :-)

Great comparison post!
Now all I have to do is figure out which one to get...well, obviously it doesn't matter, lol!

Thanks Helen!!! Let me know if you get one! I say go with the cheapest! :-)