Monday, July 19, 2010

A Beautiful Life Natural Lacquer Swatches and Review



Go Green! Last week I talked to you about the nail polish remover by A Beautiful Life and today I want to review two polishes from their line.


These polishes are Big 3 Free, non toxic, soy based and come in recyclable bottles. Like I mentioned when I talked about the polish remover I think this concept is really interesting and really smart. We put so many chemicals on our bodies in order to look beautiful it's refreshing to know a product isn't harming us or the environment!

The company offers a variety of different colors to choose from. Here's an image from their website showing the color selections:
Justify Full


I have Vette and 'Shroom. Vette is a glossy robin's egg blue, similar to For Audrey by China Glaze. 'Shroom is a shimmer champagne gold color which is work appropriate and pretty.

I really like 'Shroom. Now you know I do not typically like shimmery/frost colors but I do really like this one. It's similar to a really OLD Sally Hansen color I used to wear all the time in high school. The color is a clean gold champagne which I would consider a nice work/school appropriate neutral.

I had no issues with application. I found the formula to be easy to work with. I got no streaking and no clumps or anything. It wasn't too thick and wasn't too thin. Here's a swatch:


Next is Vette which is a color I think a lot of you will like. It's a robin's egg blue similar in tone to China Glaze's For Audrey which I know is a huge favorite among lacquer fiends.

This polish is my favorite finish, creme. It's really opaque and if you're careful enough you might get full opacity in one coat but I used two which is fine with me.

The formula was nice, a little thicker than the shimmer but that's usually the case. I had no application problems and it wasn't messy. Overall impressed. Here are some swatches and color comparisons so you can get an idea of the color. Hope these help.

Click images to enlarge:



Overall I am happy with the products I have tried from this company. Like I said it's nice to see a company being eco-responsible and putting out high quality products. If you want to check out A Beautiful Life polishes yourself just head to their website. They retail for $12.

Sound off!!! Is being non-toxic, eco-friendly something you look for in nail products? Do you think we'll see more companies moving in this direction?

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day.

Prim and Polished

Disclosure: This product was furnished to me by PR for consideration. All reviews published on this blog are at my own discretion. Please refer to my Disclosure Policy.


9 comments:

That blue is pretty! It looks so delicate. Thanks for introducing a new brand to me. :)

You're welcome! Thanks for reading :) It's such a pretty blue I adore colors like this!

Really nice colors, the first one looks a lot like Diamond Cosmetics Dirty and Flirty, maybe that's a good alternative to those who are on a budget.

I love your nail shape, btw. :)

Thank you Anneli! and thanks for the dupe suggestion I am always looking for inexpensive great products!

I really like the blue one and I'd love to see the list of ingredients (if possible, of course). =)

I'd love to see them too! Unfort. the only info on ingredients is that it's big 3 free :-(

Hmmm...that's weird. Thanks anyway. =)

No prob. The bottles only label is the one on the front (pictured). I didn't get any press info with the samples. On the website it's just stating "made with soy" and big 3 free! Sorry!

Hi!!!

I heard from an ABL PR rep who wanted to address the Diamond Cosmetics issue. She said they do formulate their own original colors and do not work with DC. They used a color chart from the manufacturer but have now removed it to avoid confusion and have posted photos of the actual bottles on their site. Also, now the ingredients are on their website as well... here's the ingredients from the Shroom page:

ALL COLORS HAVE BEEN FDA APPROVED, MAY CONTAIN: D&C Red #6 Barium Lake, D&C Red #7 Calcium Lake, D&C Red #34 Calcium Lake, FD&C Yellow #5 Aluminum Lake, D&C Yellow #10 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Red Iron Oxide, Black Iron Oxide, Guanine, Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, D&C Violet #2, D&C Red #17, D&C Red #33, D&C Yellow #11, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Green #3, D&C Green #6, D&C Yellow #10, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate (and) Tin Oxides, Silica (and) Aluminum Powder (and) Iron Oxides


Hope this helps!!!